Are you a game designer with a game you’re ready to pitch?
If you’re a game designer that has a fully playtested board or card game, we’d love to see it. Read our game submission guidelines on this page and fill out the submission form at the bottom of this page.
What we’re looking for
Puzzling Pixel Games is currently looking for card,board and book based games (but not RPG). Because we are in our infancy, we want to keep funding goals (If we go KS) lower and more realistic, so your game has more of a chance of being produced. If we don’t go KS, we may go PnP/premium PnP if your game is suitable for that, or we may use a Print on Demand Service (but doubtful – we want mass production). It is our every intention and goal however, to shoot for the stars but being realistic – that means going to Kickstarter.
We expect your game to be play tested…a lot. We also expect your rules to be done to the point where you feel it doesn’t need any further refinement outside of layout and graphics. While we’re going to “develop” your game, we expect the you have the game designed and developed (play tested, refined, rinse and repeat). We can’t work on the rule book and fumble through the game with you to figure things out. We hope to see all the small details and questions ironed out (except for the layout/presentation etc.).
We really hope that if we select your game, you’ll have a full prototype available to send to us. Don’t worry, we’ll pay to send it back (but you must make arrangements to ship to us). While we will work with PnP files, we prefer not to.
WE WILL NOT WORK WITH ANY GAME THAT’S CURRENTLY BEING DECIDED UPON BY ANOTHER PUBLISHER. Why? Because we’ll take our time looking and working with your game then you suddenly inform us that another publisher, whom you previously submitted your game to, has finally agreed to publish you game? That won’t do.
- Preferably an hour or less play time
- 5 minutes or less setup
- 5 minutes or less learning time – I can’t stress this enough. I want players to be able to get started on their game in no more than 5 minutes. Think back to playing a video game, the learning time is short and you kind of learn as you go through the game – that’s what I want to focus on with our games
- Prefer games that are 5+ . I can’t tell you how tired I am of seeing max 4 player games!
- Would be nice if your game had a solo mode. Meaning it’s not a complex set of steps to play solo mode, or even 2-3 players. Your game should gracefully upgrade or downgrade players. I am completely open to solo games – especially games that may be story driven
- Most importantly, your game should be fun; play tested A LOT; and excite me
- Playtesting – I expect your game to be blindly play tested and tested amongst groups. Friends and family are typically your first test but you need to quickly move beyond them and onto blind play testing and testing groups. Friends and family don’t want to hurt your feelings – they will tell you anything they think you’ll want to hear. Blind play testers will give you more of a objective and cold opinion of what they feel about your game, if anything is broke, etc.
- Prefer games with some theme rather than purely abstract games, but it would be nice if you had some thought as to what theme would fit your game.
- You must have a completed, near completed or finally polished rulebook; we don’t want to be guessing and fiddling around
- Lately we’ve been kicking around ideas for book based games, from small comic book types to thicker hard bound books. We love the idea of getting sucked into a story narrative that is also a game. This would ideally have little-no extra components; I also don’t expect players to have to provide their own components to play the game. If we need to produce markers with the game; so be it.
- Our favorite video game series: Metroid, CastleVania, Zelda (already doing one based on that); we would love to create games based off that. Have any games that may fit that mold? We’d love to hear from you.
What we’re not looking for
- No super violent or gore in your games; no nudity or hyper sexual themes (well you shouldn’t have any of this anyways as you’re presenting me with a prototype – leave the art to us)
- No satirical political games – especially ones that make fun of sitting political people
- No games that mock or promote religious figures
- No party games – unless it has a thematic hook to us (very rare)
- No mini’s, no RPG’s (however, I’d love to see a board game in a book format)
- No CCG/LCG or collectible games
- No abstracts
- No war-games (no big war games – if your game as a battle or war element, that’s fine)
- Not a lot of dice, but a small amount is OK
- Not so keen on typical dungeon crawler’s that are heavily campaign driven
Some finer details
- Will you get paid? Of course you will. The 20,000 feet plan is to pay rates for your design that are consistent with the hobby
- Your name will be on the box
- Our funding plans will typically include: funding a single print run of your game that includes getting games to backers as well as having copies to sell into retail through regular distribution channels and as well as our store, also having enough copies to send to reviewers and having spare parts on hand and importantly – paying you!
- Our favorite themes tend to be: Train games, transportation games, typical euros; medieval, knights, castles, trade, economic; we do like space, but it’s not at the top of our list;
- It’s important that you have a great attitude, are personable, have great communication and are willing to cooperate and work and we’ll get along fine and get your game published.
Disclaimer: any sending us your game (especially if you send us rules) you are saying that you are OK with doing so, and that you trust and we won’t take your design and run with it. This is your game but if you sign a contract with us and your Game is published by us, you are licensing ownership of the game to us for a specified amount of time. It is certainly possible that we have other games that we are working on that may be similar to your own, you must realize that. All we can do is promise is that we would never steal your game. Thanks!
*Please note, your contact info, email and any other info you supply on this form will not be used in solicitations. The purpose of this form is strictly for communicating game submission data to us only.